Setting goals is really important when embarking on not only a fitness journey, but any kind of journey in your life where there is a desired outcome or result. Goals you set should be S.M.A.R.T.
- Specific - What do you want to achieve? What action do you need to take?
- Measurable - How will you know when you've reached your goal? E.g weight loss/gain.
- Attainable - Is your goal realistic? Can it be broken down into manageable chunks?
- Relevant - Is it worth the action needed to achieve?
- Time - When do you want to achieve your goal by?
We generally tend to use landmark occasions, for example the new year, I'll start Monday, or I'll do it tomorrow. This is fine, but if the outcome of your desired goal means enough to you, then you should be able to drop everything and start TODAY!
Chances are are if you're prepared to wait to start till the new year or next week or whenever, then it's probably not as important as you think it is.
How important is your goal?
Are you 100% COMMITTED to achieving your goal as soon as possible?
Why do you think the gym is full of newbies in January, and then by March, most of them are no where to be seen?
HERE'S A TIP:
Try to write your goals down. Writing things down and seeing it in black and white makes it a lot more powerful and you're more likely to take action. Even if it seems too big or unrealistic, still write it down! You could always write down smaller bite size goals and before you know it you'll be well on your way to achieving what it is you really want.
If you need any more help in setting SMART goals, then just me know.
Until next time..
All the best.